Sunday, August 23, 2009

It has been since June 10th, since I posted a note. The reason is simple. There really has been little change. I am still doing very well. My distant vision is no problem, 20/20 binocular. (with both eyes) Near vision is also 20/20 but the near vision is better with good lighting. My intermediate vision (computer distance) has never been a problem. Night time 'rings' are still present, but as I mentioned before not a problem. Only a distraction if you perseverate about them. A small majority of patients may do that.

I was asked by Alcon to be a part of a speakers forum, along with Dr. Voss (who also has the Restor lens), and our individual surgeons, at our national meeting. on Oct 24th. Would have loved to participate, however I will be in Kyrgyzstan, at about 16,000 ft. (FYI: That's north of Afganistan and a very isolated part of the world) This planned trip was a major reason for having the surgery in the first place. Not good to fog up at that altitude! You have enough problems to deal with. I'm sure the forum will be informative, and I'm looking forward to read a transcript.

Below is a series of refractions that show I have been very stable after the first month. This is variable with each patient, but more importantly, I believe variable with each surgeon. (For a series of technical reasons) Each surgeon should know when the majority of his patients become stable.........in case an enhancement is necessary. Enhancement? If a patient's vision is not acceptable then the surgeon may elect to reduce any residual astigmatism, near or far sightedness. I tell every patient that I operate on, whether they choose a Restor or not, that I am not perfect, the science is not perfect, the preop measurements may not be perfect, and the patient's eye may not be perfect. If all these varibles are additive, it could leave the patient with some small residual prescription.....just as I have below. The question is always: Is the vision as is, acceptable, and whether the secondary surgery would reliably improve day to day function. With enhancements, there are risks, and benefits, all of which need to be discussed fully with each patient. Currently, I have a small residual prescription, which sharpens my vision dramatically in my examining room. However, when I wear that same prescription in glasses, I see no significant changes with driving, reading or any other activity. That's what counts! Every surgeon will need to perform enhancements, but with more experience the numbers decrease. (Find a compulsive surgeon)

with these small prescription's I am a sharp 20/20
without these I am 20/20, but just a bit blurred

6/2................-.50 + .50 x 015................Right eye
......................plano + .75 x 165..............Left eye
6/16...............-.50 + .25 x 005
......................plano + .50 x 157
6/22..............no change
6/2................no change
7/7................-.50 + .50 x 180
.....................+.25 + .25 x 155
7/17 .............no change
7/25..............-.50 +.25 x 003
.....................+.25 +.50 x 165
7/31 .............no change
8/07.............-.50 + .50 x 015
....................+.25 + .50 x 165
8/22.............-.50 + .50 x 170
....................+.25 + .50 157

No comments:

Post a Comment