Friday, May 8, 2009

I CHOSE THE RESTOR IMPLANT

I AM AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST


My first eye surgery is scheduled for Mon. 5/11. The question that should be answered is: Why the ReSTOR, why any implant, and why now.

I am a 63-year-old full time ophthalmologist with a busy cataract and ocular plastic and reconstructive practice. I have been contemplating this procedure for some time now, but was worried that I would be out of the office and or operating room for a prolonged period of time. I attempted to investigate what other eye doctors have experienced, and how long they were unable to perform at 100%. Well, there is little information out there, and I could only find two ophthalmologists who had the ReSTOR lens implanted. One was retired so that doesn’t help much; the second had an active practice. The latter was very helpful; he was able to operate within a week. Still, questions arise, so in an attempt to answer questions that others may have, I have agreed to write this blog. Patients, as well as ophthalmologists, optometrists and any interested individual may be able to follow the course of my surgeries. I’m sure my patients will be interested, as well. I have prepped every surgical patient on my future operating schedule, that if I am not 100%, I will delay their surgery until I am. Everyone, of course, understands. I have a great group of patients.

Let’s get to the initial questions. Why the ReSTOR? There are 3 implants currently approved by the FDA for implantation in the US that allows distance, and near vision. These vary in design, function, ease of implantation, and patient acceptance. The RESTOR implant has been out about 4 years. I have considerable experience implanting this particular lens in many patients, and have had great results. The third generation model is now out, the SN6AD1 and it has addressed some of the minor limitations of the first two. I tell all my patients that there is nothing like a 20-year-old eye, which does not require glasses, but the AD1 is the next best thing. If I tell my patients that, then I should step up to the plate, if I have need for better vision, or simply wish to eliminate my glasses. (That would be called a clear lens exchange (CLE); removing a clear lens (no cataract) to eliminate glasses.) Have you ever wondered why your eye doctor is wearing glasses?

I am a very active individual outside of medicine. I enjoy all types of outdoor activities. Glasses simply get in my way. Nothing worse than climbing a mountain at 14,000 ft., jogging in the humidity of Texas, or on the water of your favorite lake, and fogging up. Viewing the world through binoculars is much better without glasses. I have begun to notice visual problems. I am very critical of my vision, and being in the business, I know what to look for. I have begun to have halos around all point sources of light, more difficulty reading in dim light, seeing street signs at night, and clearly seeing some of the small 7-0, 10-0 sutures in surgery. Surgery could wait until this becomes a more serious visual problem, or I could elect to proceed with a procedure, to improve vision, and enjoy it while I can. I choose the latter.
I have begun the pre-op process. A series of measurements were necessary to determine the exact lens power for my eye. With the current technology, this is now very accurate, however there are no guarantees. I am hopeful that my vision will be great, but I know that on occasion a secondary procedure may be indicated to fine-tune my vision. I have begun my preoperative eye drops, an antibiotic, and two types of anti-inflammatory meds. These will be used 3 days pre-operatively, and the antibiotic for a week post operatively. The anti-inflammatory meds may be used up to a month. I now can empathize with my patients. Getting that drop in the eye without wasting one on the forehead or nose is an art.
I chose a surgeon who has more experience with the ReSTORE lens that anyone else I know. He was on the FDA medical panel that did the clinical trials, and therefore, has extensive experience with this particular lens. His name is Bob Lehman, and he lives 3 hours away in Nacogdoches, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment