Sunday, May 10, 2009

The lens of the eye is normally transparent, but as people age the lens develop opacities and eventually becomes opaque. Vision, therefore, deteriorates. Previously, after cataract surgery, patients used very thick glasses as previously mentioned. Dr. Ridley was one of those innovative individuals that recognized a need, and found an answer. He noticed in a number of RAF pilots, pieces of "perspex," the plastic used in fighter canopies. The plastic was inert, and caused no inflammatory reaction. He reasoned that an intraocular lens made of the same material would solve the age long problem of inadequate vision after cataract surgery. On Nov. 29th, 1949 he implanted his first lens. After a series of implants, he presented a paper to a UK ophthalmological society, and was summarily criticized and ostracised. The technique slowly caught on, actually faster in the US than in Britan. By 1980, the implant had been refined to the point where the majority of US surgeons were on board. I personally performed my first implant in 1978, and complared to the lens of today, they were primitive.
Cataract surgery has advanced tremendously since the late 70's. A quick surgeon at that time took about 45 min. and used 6-10 sutures. It was not uncommon to keep the patients in the hospital for a few days. Today, 8-10 minutes with no sutures as an outpatient. Healing is much quicker as well as vision. Most intra-ocular lenses are now made either of acrylic plastic or silicone. A small incision is created, the cataract emulsified, the implant rolled into a taco shape, and implanted.
I have chosen the third generation ReSTOR implant, (SN60AD1) manufactured by Alcon. (Ft. Worth) I won't get technical, but I believe it offers the best of distant, intermediate, and near vision. In addition, Dr. Lehman uses the 'Infinity' phacoemulsification machine which I have extensive experience with. I believe it is the best on the market.
I'm now off for Nacogdoches to spend the evening prior to my early am surgery. For my future patients, and ophthalmic surgeons who have not experienced eye surgery, I will attempt to describe my surgical experience and the immediate post operative visual aberrations. I am particularly interested in seeing how it is with one implant and one natural lens. Some of my patients have no trouble, and so have considerable difficulties. Which camp will I be in?

2 comments:

  1. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future..
    https://yaldoeyecenter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? surgeongate.org

    ReplyDelete