Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vision: 20/20- R, 20/30- L For the MD's R -.25 + .25 X 005, L Pl. + .75 X 157

The L eye has been fluctuating between an astigmatism of +.50 and +.75 for the last few days. I knew from my past experience with implanting ReSTOR IOLs that astigmatism would decrease vision. For me, it is exquisitely so. If I correct the astigmatism incrementally, (by +.25 increments), vision improves dramatically. Under +.50 will be my target for any ReSTOR patient. I knew this intellectually, but having experienced the difference will make me more attuned to correcting it as much as feasible. It also depends on the patient. As you might expect, I know too much, know what to look for, etc. Many of my patients post-operatively, have little problem with +.50 to +.75....However, every patient is an individual, and we must listen when they describe their vision post-operatively, if we want to provide the best possible outcome.
The ring phenomena is more evident when both eyes have a ReSTOR. Still doesn't bother me, just a fact, it's just there. As I have mentioned before, I had significant 'Halos', and now the halos just have fine rings inside of them. Interestingly, as I approach a traffic light the rings disappear at about 100-150 ft. Makes sense optically, the farther away from a point source of light, the more parallel the light waves, and the more ring phenomena. At least, that is my observation.
I am blogging this without glasses, and doing just fine. I performed a Levator resection (raised a droopy eyelid), and a blepharoplasty (removed the excessive skin) this morning. I could have done so without glasses, but chose to wear an Over The Counter +2.00. It just gave me more of the fine details I required. The intermediate is now fine, as I mentioned. Newspapers in the morning can be managed without glasses, but better with my +2.00. Newspaper print is always bad. The decrease in vision may be a combination of having a little worse vision, early in the morning, (slight corneal swelling?) combined with the near taking longer to get better. All my ReSTORE patients tell me the near vision takes the longest to sharpen.
I had no shadow in the lateral portion of my vision in the R eye. If you remember I did report that in my Left......many of my patients have mentioned this shadow. My shadow took about 3 days to dissipate in the L. Why in one eye and not the other. Possibly the incision laterally, but I do not know for sure. No pain! However, just using the drops are a pain!..... using 3 separate drops 3X a day. I now realize that not all patients will use the drops as instructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment