Monday, May 18, 2009

Vision L 20/25 R 20/25+ (3 hours post op) at distance J2 at 16-18"

That is great for those not in the medical field......especially for only 3 hours post operatively. Looking forward to everything settling down and sharpening up.
Dr. Dan Voss, the only other active ophthalmologist who we have been able to find that has bilateral ReSTOR implants has been holding my hand via e mails. He sent a particularly insightful e mail last evening prior to my second surgery that I wish to share with you. It is below. The (......) are mine to explain medical comments to non medical readers.

Tim,
It's exciting but I'm sure it has been a long week. With the anisokonia (different size in all images because of the farsighted refraction on the R) and a bifocal it's more like triplopia. (triple vision) The contact lens was a really good idea. Anymore, I'm more likely to prescribe a CTL in the unoperated eye, even with a monofocal lens, for that week in limbo between surgeries with 2.5 D or more anisometropia. (Different percriptions between the two eye) Being a surgeon doesn't make us a better patient, but being a patient does make us a better surgeon. A bifocal CTL in the unoperated eye is a good idea if the patient is already used to it, but I'm not so sure it's worth trying to adapt to the glare from the contact lens for such a short time.
You're through the worst part. Two Restors are definitely better than one.
I'll be praying for you tomorrow, I'm sure you will do well.
Dan

Dan was prophetic! Having 2 ReSTOR implants is so much better that having just one and an unoperated lens in the other. The Alcon reps have always mentioned that 1 + 1 = > 2 when it comes to the results of the ReSTOR. There was an immediate (when I walked out from the surgical center) difference in vision and function, was remarkable. The brain just does much better, when using similar optical systems to input vision. I would have been able to drive without any visual problems, if I had not had the vesed and felt goofy. On the other hand, I stopped by my clinic, checked my mail, email, and did some paperwork and dictations.........without any glasses.

Cannot say enough for all of Dr. Lehman's employees. Very professional, very courteous, and organization is terrific. They truly believe in teamwork. I notice more than most (being in the business), and if one person was busy, the others pitched in to complete the task or make the patient comfortable. One could only wish that all clinics ran as well......I assure you they do not. My employees and myself now have goals to achieve to even come close to this set up. I wish I could thank all the women who assisted me this morning, but you will have to blame Rusty, the CRNA (nurse anethtisist) who ensured I wouldn't make any suggestions during the surgery. Versed is amnestic! (Makes you forget most short term memories) Thanks Rusty. And congratulations to his son, who just graduated from Annapolis. He is on the way to F/18 training. I personally wish I could individually thank every member of the military. (my personal bias....forgive the editorial)
Thanks again Dr. Lehman, for your expertise and your clinic personnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment