Friday, May 15, 2009

Vision 20/30+ at distance uncorrected; a +.25+.25 X 155 corrects vision to a sharp 20/20

Worked a full day. Completed a full cataract schedule without any visual problems. Set my R. microscope ocular on +2.25, my refraction, and Plano in the left. That gave me excellent binocular vision with great depth perception. Of course, the new Zeiss microscope helped. My next case gave me a little challenge. A DCR (tear drainage operation), requires very good depth perception. I did not feel comfortable with one ReSTOR and one CTL. That gave me some near and intermediate vision, but the depth perception was a problem. A pair of reading glasses, +2.00, was an significant improvement, however the operating microscope was, again, the best answer. No difficulty dissecting soft tissue, removing bone, or anastomosing mucosal flaps. I'm including these details for other active surgeons who may be considering eye surgery for themselves. I believe, that in most cases, a prompt return to a full operating schedule is possible. That, of course, depends on the surgical specialty. Everything will be much easier with a second ReSTOR to improve the depth perception problem.
My drops are a pain to use, (but necessary) and for those doctors who have never used an ophthalmic steroid preparation: it blurs your vision significantly for 10-15 minutes. Plan ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment